The Companion Page to Theme Park Adventure - the Internet's Original Fan Site

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"How can I become part of the TPA team?"

It's a question we get asked frequently - "How does someone go about becoming part of Theme Park Adventure?"

It's very flattering that fans of what we do like what we do enough to want to take it one step further and actually become part of the team; really - I cannot think of a higher compliment. Also, it is gratifying in that it tells me that we are moving in the right direction and that we have the attention of people that are really into what we do and what's going on in the industry.

Before I go further, I should preface the rest of this article with some honest facts about TPA.

Since it's inception in 1994, TPA has cost much more to maintain and continue doing than it ever has brought money in as a company. Our biggest windfall came in the '90s, when we published our 170-page book on Pirates of the Caribbean. Financially, it's all been downhill from that point for us. Without getting into specifics, the cost of running the site, covering events, etc. far outweighs the cash that flows into our TPA coffers. That's the way it's always been, and for the foreseeable future, that's the way it's going to be. So, if you're looking to work with TPA and come away with a payday, I can assure you - that ain't us. I always joke with the rest of the team that the day I can quit my day job and actually live off of TPA, I will gladly hand out checks to the rest of the team.

In other words, don't hold your breath! I'm certainly not!

Everyone that works with TPA (myself included) does so because we absolutely love the theme park, thrill park, amusement and themed entertainment industry. Period. The end. That's all. The joy we get out of sharing our experiences with the rest of the world via TPA is our reward for doing what we do. The hours are unreal and long - for me and my co-owner, Johanna, TPA is a 24/7 job on top of our "real life" away from the computer. If we didn't love what we do - there is no way TPA would still exist after almost 16 years.

So, if no pay (we can and will give credit to those assisting with articles, etc.) is still appealing to you, read on:

If you live in the Southern California area, I have bad news for you; so do we. So do we, and so do seven out of the 8 listed staffers on our About Us page on TPA. That means, quite frankly... we have SoCal covered.

Now, if you live elsewhere - anywhere else - the possibility is there for us to work something out. For a non-paying gig, we do however, have some fairly high standards that you'll need to meet in order to get my attention.

You need to be an adult. Even though 13-year-olds are much more mature and sophisticated as I was when that age. Seriously! Today, kids barely with any body hair are running websites much more sophisticated than TPA's. Hell, when I was 13, my biggest concern was mastering Yars' Revenge on my Atari 2600!

But I digress. You need to be at least 18 years of age with your own, reliable transportation. We can't have you set to go to a press event and suddenly text me with, "Dude, I can't make it - my mom has sewing circle tonight and is the designated driver." No good. Gotta have a car, gotta know how to drive said car, and you need to be at least an adult in the eyes of the law to attend events, etc. while representing Theme Park Adventure. If you're in that horrible limbo between 18 and 21... we can get you access, but you'll need to refrain from the jolly juice. No getting fake ID-busted while representing TPA at a special event. Nooooooo. Not good.

Next, you need to have a digital camera. And in the same breath, you need to really know how to use said camera. Sure - anyone can take a picture with a digital camera... but we need you to be a master of your camera. Know it. Love it. Be one with it. If you have your own digital camera (doesn't have to be an SLR - but that would be nice) and you know how to work that moneymaker, then that's another step closer to working with TPA.

Here's the biggest sticking point... You must - absolutely must - know how to write. I don't mean your name.

& i dont mean u only no how 2 write like u text.

You must be able to write a coherent, passionate story that doesn't take me 13 hours per page to edit on this end. As horribly stuck-up and crappy as that may sound, it's critical. Over the years, I have learned one thing - if someone says they can write... there is a 30% chance they actually can. Structure, grammar and punctuation aside, writing comes from the heart - not from a text book. If you cannot connect with other fans and readers through your writing, the quality of your pictures or the content behind your article means absolutely doo-doo. To connect, to pull emotion from your readers - that is the quality we seek. Only then, do the pictures and everything else fall into place.

So let's recap:

  • No pay.
  • Must be 18 years of age with your own transportation.
  • Must own your own digital camera and know how to use the thing (SLRs preferred).
  • Must be able to write an article or story that is compelling, passionate and legible.
The absolutely most critical step of them all... we've gotta like you. In the past, I have worked with people that are challenging, to say the least (I'm excluded from this, as it's my company - if I had to work with myself... yeah.. that would be a problem most days). We have to rely on you to be professional, not be flaky and understand that while "on assignment", you represent not just the rest of the Theme Park Adventure team... but all of our readers/fans. That is absolutely critical. God knows, there have been times that I have dropped the ball and have royally screwed up (a la Steve Wynn destroying his own Picasso); but that's me, and I have hopefully, learned from my errors along the way. What I need to know is that I'm not going to get an email from a really pissed public relations manager at a theme park somewhere in the Mid-West telling me that my representative was drunk, loud and running around half-naked screaming something about Leroy Jenkins during their press event.

Can't have that.

Not even a little bit.

SO... if my rambling hasn't scared you off and you really think you have what it takes to join the TPA team, you are more than free to contact me at any time. Tell me something about yourself, what parks you frequent, etc. and we'll go from there. I don't promise or guarantee anything but dialogue with those inquiring. However, if you have the passion and the means, perhaps we can bring you onto the team.

In the interim, what I can and will honestly say is this: the best way for most of you to become part of TPA is to simply show your support for what we do. Post on our Message Board. Attend our gatherings. Tell your friends about us. Hell, buy a t-shirt or a button or bumper sticker. Anything to get the word out there about Theme Park Adventure. That is honestly, the best thing you can possibly do to become part of the group. Participate, participate, participate. That is what we want from you guys!

To contact me about possibly joining the Theme Park Adventure team, simply click here and ramble away like I have so aptly demonstrated my ability to do in this posting.

Thank you for your interest - it really is awesome and much, much appreciated!

- Rick West

No comments:

Post a Comment